Kieran: So Jane – you’ll be off to Denmark soon to do your work placement.
基兰:所以简-你很快就要去丹麦实习了。
Jane: Yes, I’m really looking forward to it and I’ve just started packing up all my books to put in storage.
简:是的,我真的很期待,我刚开始收拾我所有的书,准备放进仓库。
Kieran: Well, I hope they don’t get spoilt.
基兰:希望它们不会被弄坏。
Jane: It’s OK – my grandfather works in a bookshop and he told me how to pack them.
简:没事的,我爷爷在书店工作,他告诉了我如何打包。
Kieran: Oh, that’s helpful.
基兰:哦,真有帮助。
Jane: He says you have to support the spine otherwise the paper can come away from the cover.
简:他说必须把书脊支撑起来,否则纸张会从封面处脱落。
Kieran: Yeah – that’s obvious.
基兰:是的,很显然。
Jane: He also told me to pack them flat in the box not on their side – again because they can bend and if you leave them like that for, say, a year, it’s quite hard to get them back to their normal shape.
简:他还告诉我要把书平放在盒子里,不要侧放-因为这样它们会弯曲,如果你把它们这样放着,比如说放一年,就很难让它们恢复原来的形状了。
Kieran: Well, it’s pretty clear that ruins them, but a lot of people just can’t be bothered to protect their books.
基兰:嗯,很明显那会毁了那些书,但很多人就是懒得保护他们的书。
Jane: He always says it’s such a shame that publishers don’t use better-quality paper.
简:我爷爷总是说,出版商不使用质量更好的纸张真是太可惜了。
Kieran: It’s the acid in the paper that causes the problem, isn’t it?
基兰:是纸张中的酸造成了问题,不是吗?
Jane: Yeah – that’s why old books go yellow. You know some of the books my grandfather’s given me are like that already.
简:是的,这就是旧书变黄的原因。我祖父给我的一些书已经变成这样了。
Kieran: Oh . . .
基兰:哦......
Jane: I should dump them really if they’re going to deteriorate further, but I’d feel bad. They’ll always remind me of him. He’s quite a collector, you know.
简:如果那些书的状况进一步变坏的话,我真的应该把它们扔掉,但是我会觉得很可惜。那些书总会让我想起我爷爷。你知道,他是个收藏家。
Kieran: Well, if they’re important to you . . .
基兰:好吧,如果它们对你很重要……
Jane: Yeah – I’d regret just throwing them away.
简:是的-我会后悔把它们扔掉。
Kieran: You know, maybe it’s because I was taught to treasure books . . . but I hate seeing students force open the pages – of paperbacks. They press so hard they end up breaking the spine.
基兰:你知道吗,也许是因为我从小就被教育要珍惜书籍……,我很讨厌看到学生们用力打开平装书。他们用力过度,最后把书脊都压断了。
Jane: I know, but unfortunately, paperbacks aren’t designed to last a long time and people know that. Hardbacks aren’t quite as weak.
简:我知道,但不幸的是,平装书的设计不适合长期阅读,人们也知道这一点。精装书就没那么容易磨损。
Kieran: Yeah, they’re different, I suppose. But I still don’t think people value hardbacks like they used to.
基兰:是的,我想精装书确实不一样。但我还是觉得人们不像以前那样重视精装书了。
Jane: Well, they aren’t decorative, are they, like other objects. Plus, nowadays, people don’t keep them out on shelves as much as they used to.
简:嗯,精装书不像其他物品一样,是装饰品。另外,现在人们不再像以前那样把它们摆在书架上了。
Kieran: That’s such a pity. When I visit someone – if they have, say, a colourful book on a table, it’s the first thing I’m drawn to.
基兰:真遗憾。当我去拜访别人时,如果他们的桌子上摆放着一本色彩鲜艳的书,我首先就会被它吸引。
Jane: I agree – and book covers can be a work of art in themselves. Some are really eye-catching.
简:我同意,书的封面本身就是一件艺术品。有些封面非常引人注目。
Kieran: I’ve always been taught to handle books carefully. If you watch someone take a book off a shelf, well, they usually do it wrong.
基兰:我一直被教导要小心对待书籍。如果你看到有人从书架上取下一本书,你会发现他们拿书的方式通常是错的。
Jane: Ah, my grandfather says, you should put your hand right over the top of the book . . . or if you can’t do that, pull the other books on the shelf aside so that you can hold the whole cover.
简:啊,我爷爷说,你应该把手放在书的上面……如果你做不到,就把书架上的其他书拉到一边,这样你就可以握住整个封面了。
Kieran: When did you learn all this?
基兰:你什么时候学会这些的?
Jane: He watched me pull a heavy book off the shelf when I was small, and it fell on the floor and broke apart.
简:我小的时候,他看着我把一本很重的书从书架上拉下来,书掉在地上摔得四分五裂。
Kieran: Oh dear!
基兰:哦,天哪!
Jane: I can still remember it!
简:我还记得!
Kieran: You know what I really like?
基兰:你知道我最喜欢什么吗?
Jane: What?
简:什么?
Kieran: The smell of new books.
基兰:新书的味道。
Jane: Me too.
简:我也是。
Kieran: My parents used to laugh at me when I was a kid because I loved putting books up to my nose. Almost as much as reading them!
基兰:我小的时候,我父母经常嘲笑我,因为我喜欢把书放在鼻子上闻。几乎和看书一样!
Jane: New books aren’t cheap, though, are they?
简:新书可不便宜,不是吗?
Kieran: I guess we’re lucky we can buy them.
基兰:我想我们可以买书是很幸运的。
Jane: My grandfather stocks second-hand books as well as new ones and they don’t smell quite as good.
简:我爷爷除了买新书,还储备二手书,而且二手书闻起来没新书香。
Kieran: I’d love to have a bookshop like your grandfather. What’s it like?
基兰:我很想跟你祖父那样开一家书店。你祖父的书店是什么样的?
Jane: Well, it’s quite big – it’s got two floors and an attic, and he stocks all kinds of books really.
简:嗯,挺大的,有两层楼和一个阁楼,他有各种各样的书。
Kieran: I guess he treasures things like first editions and other rare books.
基兰:我猜他珍藏的是初版书和其他稀有书籍。
Jane: Yeah – you might think he’d keep those in the attic or somewhere.
简:是的,他也许会把这些书放在阁楼或其他地方。
Kieran: . . . so they’d be hidden?
基兰:所以它们会被藏起来?
Jane: Yeah. But he likes people to know that he has them. So, he puts them out in the shop but makes sure you need a ladder to get them.
简:是的。但他希望人们知道他有这些东西。所以,他把它们放在店里,但确保需要梯子才能拿到它们。
Kieran: Right. That would prevent any thefts!
基兰:好的。这样可以防止偷窃!
Jane: Uhuh.
简:嗯。
Kieran: Does he stock books for children?
基兰:他有儿童读物吗?
Jane: He does. He particularly likes to encourage kids to read; he always says that he used to sit under the stairs as a child with a pile of books and read them all.
简:他有。他特别喜欢鼓励孩子们阅读;他总是说,他小时候经常抱着一堆书坐在楼梯下,把它们都读完。
Kieran: Is that where he keeps them, then?
基兰:他把书都放在那里吗?
Jane: Not exactly – he’s got a dedicated area on the ground floor with cushions so that parents can enter with their toddlers, go there and spend some time reading to them.
简:不完全是-他在一楼专门开辟了一块地方,铺上了垫子,这样家长就可以带着他们的孩子去那里,花一些时间给他们读书。
Kieran: Oh cool.
基兰:哦,好酷。
Jane: And then there’s a place for pushchairs by the front door. And a café if anyone needs refreshments.
简:前门还有一个放婴儿车的地方。如果有人需要点心,还有一个咖啡厅。
Kieran: That’s good to know.
基兰:很高兴知道这些。
Jane: As I said, it’s a big shop and there’s a storage area out the back as well.
简:正如我所说,这是一家大商店,后面还有一个储藏区。
Kieran: Oh, what does he keep there? Books he wants to throw away?
基兰:哦,他在那儿放什么?他想扔掉的书?
Jane: He hardly ever throws anything away – he just leaves unwanted books by the front door for customers to take.
简:他几乎不扔任何东西-他只是把不想要的书放在前门让顾客拿走。
Kieran: Well, that’s very nice.
基兰:嗯,真不错。
Jane: Yeah – and books people or institutions have requested, they all go at the far end.
简:是的,人们或机构订购的书都放在最里面。
Kieran: Oh.
基兰:哦。
Jane: He thinks it’s best to keep these out of the main shopping area as they’re boxed and new.
简:他认为这些书最好不要放在主购物区,因为它们都是装箱的新书。
Kieran: Did you get your coursebooks from him?
基兰:你的课本是从他那儿拿的吗?
Jane: Naturally. He stocks books for a lot of the colleges. He used to keep these books on the first floor, but now there’s a new university in my hometown, he’s moved them downstairs to attract the students. They’re actually part of the coffee shop, on low shelves all around it.
简:当然。他储备了很多大学用的书籍。他以前把这些书放在一楼,但现在我的家乡新开了一所大学,为了吸引学生,他把书搬到了楼下。这些书实际上是咖啡店的一部分,放在咖啡店四周的矮架子上。
Kieran: Pretty central then. You’ll have to take me there some time!
基兰:那是很中心的位置了。有机会你一定要带我去!
Question 21 - 25
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
21 Kieran thinks the packing advice given by Jane's grandfather is
acommon sense.
bhard to follow.
cover-protective.
22 How does Jane feel about the books her grandfather has given her
aThey are not worth keeping.
bThey should go to a collector.
cThey have sentimental value for her.
23 Jane and Kieran agree that hardback books should be
aput out on display.
bgiven as gifts to visitors.
cmore attractively designed.
24 While talking about taking a book from a shelf, Jane
adescribes the mistakes other people make doing it.
breflects on a significant childhood experience.
cexplains why some books are easier to remove than others.
25 What do Jane and Kieran suggest about new books?
aTheir parents liked buying them as presents.
bThey would like to buy more of them.
cNot everyone can afford them.
Where does Jane’s grandfather keep each of the following types of books in his shop?
Choose FIVE answers from the box and write the correct letter, A–G, next to Questions 26–30.
Possible reasons
26 rare books 26
27 children's books 27
28 unwanted books 28
29 requested books 29
30 coursebooks 30
a near the entrance
b in the attic
c at the back of the shop
d on a high shelf
e near the stairs
f in a specially designed space
g within the café