Section2:Winridge Forest Railway Park 纠错
查看听力原文 关闭显示原文
显示译文

Part A :

For the second in our series about locally-run business, we meet Simon Winride, co-founder of the hugely successful Winridge Forest Railway Park.

我们的第二个系列是关于如何运作本地商业,我们见到了Simon Winridge,非常成功的Winridge森林铁路公园的联合创始人。

Welcome, Simon.

欢迎,Simon。

Now, perhaps you can begin by telling us a little bit about how it all started.

现在,也许你可以开始给我们介绍一下关于这一切是如何开始的。

Well, during the 1970s, my wife, Liz and I had just acquired 80 acres of sheep-farming land, and we decided to settle down and have children.

嗯,在20世纪70年代,我的妻子,丽兹和我刚获得80英亩的牧羊土地,我们决定定居下来,并养育孩子。

Pretty soon we had a daughter, Sarah, and a son, Duncan.

很快我们就有了女儿,莎拉,和一个儿子,邓肯。

The place was wonderful for the kids: they particularly love the trains and gradually built up an enormous network of miniature railway tract.

这个地方对孩子们来说是非常好的:孩子们特别喜欢火车,并逐渐建立起一个庞大的铁路轨道网络的缩图。

I began to develop larger-scale models of locomotives but we don't think any more of it until I went on a trip to a theme park near Birmingham and decided we could do a much better job!

我开始发展规模较大的机车模型,但是在我去伯明翰附近的一个主题公园之前,我们并没有考虑到更多的事情,然后我们决定可以打造出一个更好的公园!

So we set up a small one ourselves based on the miniature railway and we opened to the public for just a month that year, 1984-in July-our driest month-because our children said they didn't want our guests to have a miserable, wet visit.

我们建立了一个小的公园基于小的铁道,在1984年我们向公众开放仅仅一个月的时间一一七月——我们最干燥的月份——因为我们的孩子们说他们不想让我们的客人有一个悲惨惨的潮湿的参观之旅。

I dealt with Park business and Liz carried on with the farm work.

我负责处理公园的商务问题,丽兹主要负责农场的工作。

It soon became clear that we were onto a winner.

很快事实就变得清楚了,我们即将成为一个胜利者。

We began to extend the railway tract and lay it among more interesting landscape by planting trees, which in turn attracted more wildlife, and by making cutting through the rock.

我们开始扩张铁路,通过种植树木使它置身于更有趣的景观中,这又吸引了更多的野生动植物,并通过岩石进行插枝。

Nowadays, we're open all year round and we're pleased to say that Winridge is one of the most popular visitor attractions in the area-with 50.000 visitors a year-a million and a half people have been through our doors since we opened.

如今,我们全年开放,我们可以很高兴地说,winridge是这一地区最受欢迎的旅游景点——一年有五万游客——从我们开业起,已有一百五十万的游客前来游玩。

Part B :

All these visitors mean we have had to expand our operation and it's now a truly family concern.

这么多的游客就意味着我们必须扩大我们的运作,现在它是一个真正的我们全家人都关注的重心:

I'm near to retirement age so I only concern myself with looking after the mechanical side of things-keeping the trains going.

我快退休了,所以我只关心自己做机械方面的事情…一保持火车顺利运行。

Liz now devotes all her energies to recruiting and supporting the large squadron of workers, which keep the place running smoothly.

丽兹现在把所有精力都投入到招募和支持大批的工人中,来确保这个地方顺利运作。

We're really pleases that after some years away teaching, Sarah has now returned to the park and makes sure the visitors are kept fed and watered, which keeps her pretty busy as you can imagine.

我们真的很高兴能离开教学一段时间,莎拉现在已经回到了公园,来确保给游客提供足够的食物和饮水,你可以想象到这会使让她非常忙碌。

Our son, Duncan, have been a stalwart of the park for the last ten years, taking over from me in the area of construction-and I'll say a little bit more about that in a moment-and his new wife, Judith, has also joined the team in charge of retail.

我们的儿子邓肯,在过去的十年里一直是公园的中流砥柱,接替我继续公园的建筑工作——我过一会儿再说那件事情,他的新婚妻子朱迪思,也加入了负责零售的团队。

That's becoming a tremendous growth area for us-a lot of people want to buy souvernirs.

这对我们来说是一个巨大增长的领域——很多人都想购买纪念品。

So have you finished your development of the site for the moment?

那么,你现在完成了你的网站的开发了吗?

Not at all!

还一点都没开始呢!

We're constantly looking for ways to offer more to our visitors.

我们一直在寻找可以为我们的游客提供更多的方式。

The railway remains the central feature and there's now 1.2 kilometres of the line laid but we'd like to lay more.

铁路仍然是主要的特色,现在已经铺设了1.2公里的路线了,但我们想要铺设更多。

Because of the geology of the area, our greatest problem is digging tunnels.

由于该地区的地质情况,我们最大的问题就是挖地道。

But we're gradually overcoming that.

但我们正在逐步克服这些困难。

We're also very pleased with a new installation of the Go-Kart arena which is 120 square metres in area.

我们也很高兴可以有一个新的卡丁车赛场,面积是120平方米。

Again the problem is the geology; we had to level the mounds on the track for safety reasons.

问题还是地质问题:由于安全原因,我们不得不水平的把土丘堆积在轨道上。

We wanted to enable 5-12 year olds to use the go-karts.

我们想让5-12岁的儿童使用卡丁车。

And the main attraction here is the Formula 1 Kart.

这里的主要景点是1方程式赛车。

We've known fights to break out over who gets it!

我们以比赛著名,看谁可以打破记录得到它!

And then finally to our most recent development which is the landscaped....

最后,我们的最新发展是景观…

Question 11 - 13

Choose the correct letter A, B or C

11 Simon's idea for a theme park came from

ahis childhood hobby.

bhis interest in landscape design.

chis visit to another park.

显示答案 正确答案: C

12 When they started. the family decided to open the park only when

athe weather was expected to be good.

bthe children weren't at school.

cthere were fewer farming commitments

显示答案 正确答案: A

13 Since opening, the park has had

a50.000 visitors.

b1,000.000 visitors.

c1.500.000 visitors.

显示答案 正确答案: C

考生贡献解析

点击查看题目解析

暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
暂无解析
保存解析
取消
保存成功!

题目讨论

如果对题目有疑问,欢迎来提出你的问题,热心的小伙伴会帮你解答。

如何高效搞定此篇文章?

Winridge Forest Railway Park

马上练习