始终显示原文
小黑人

欢迎使用考满分精听听写

截止昨天,已经有 71033 同学完成了练习

开始练习 查看新手引导

原文已被隐藏,你可用 快捷键 - 或点击 显示原文 按钮来查看原文

第一段

1 .OK, Jim.

好的,吉姆。

2 .You wanted to see me about your textile design project.

你想和我谈谈你的纺织品设计项目。

第二段

1 .That's right.

是的。

2 .I've been looking at how a range of natural dyes can be used to colour fabrics like cotton and wool.

我一直在研究如何用各种天然染料给棉花和羊毛等织物上色。

第三段

1 .Why did you choose that topic?

你为什么选择那个课题?

第四段

1 .Well, I got a lot of useful ideas from the museum,

嗯,我从博物馆里得到了很多有用的想法,

2 .you know, at that exhibition of textiles.

你知道的,在那个纺织品展览会上。

3 .But I've always been interested in anything to do with colour.

但是我一直对任何与颜色有关的东西都感兴趣。

4 .Years ago, I went to a carpet shop with my parents when we were on holiday in Turkey,

几年前,我和父母去土耳其度假时走进一家地毯店,

5 .and I remember all the amazing colours.

我仍然记得那些美妙的颜色。

第五段

1 .They might not all have been natural dyes.

它们可能并非都是天然染料。

第六段

1 .Maybe not,

可能不是,

2 .but for the project I decided to follow it up.

但是我想做一个延续这个的课题。

3 .And I found a great book about a botanic garden in California that specialises in plants used for dyes.

我还发现了一本很棒的书,是关于加利福尼亚的一个植物园,那里专门种植染料用的植物。

第七段

1 .OK. So, in your project, you had to include a practical investigation.

好的,那么,在你的项目中,必须包括一项实际调查。

第八段

1 .Yeah. At first I couldn't decide on my variables.

好的。刚开始我没办法决定我的变量。

2 .I was going to just look at one type of fibre for example, like cotton ...

我就想先研究一种类型的纤维,比如说,棉花。。。

第九段

1 .... and see how different types of dyes affected it?

然后看看不同染料是如何影响它的?

第十段

1 .Yes. Then I decided to include others as well,

对。然后我决定把其他的也包括进来,

2 .so I looked at cotton and wool and nylon.

所以我研究了棉花、羊毛和尼龙。

第十一段

1 .With just one type of dye?

只是一种染料吗?

第十二段

1 .Various types, including some that weren't natural, for comparison.

很多种,包括非自然的染料,用作对比。

第十三段

1 .OK.

好的。

第十四段

1 .So, I did the experiments last week.

所以,我上周做了实验。

2 .I used some ready-made natural dyes,

我用了一些现成的自然染料,

3 .I found a website which supplied them,

我找到了一个提供这些材料的网站,

4 .they came in just a few days,

几天就到货了。

5 .but l also made some of my own.

但是我自己也做了一些。

第十五段

1 .That must have taken quite a bit of time.

那肯定花了很多时间。

第十六段

1 .Yes,

是的,

2 .I'd thought it'd just be a matter of a teaspoon or so of dye,

我本来觉得只需要一茶匙左右的染料,

3 .and actually that wasn't the case at all.

后来发现完全不是这样。

4 .Like I was using one vegetable, beetroot, for a red dye.

就像我在使用一种蔬菜,也就是甜菜根做红色燃料的时候。

5 .and l had to chop up a whole pile of it.

我得切上一堆原材料。

6 .So it all took longer than I'd expected.

所以比我预期花了更多的时间。

第十七段

1 .One possibility is to use food colourings.

有一种可能是使用食物染色。

第十八段

1 .I did use one.

我确实用了。

2 .That was a yellow dye, an artificial one.

那是一种黄色染料,人工的。

第一十九段

1 .Tartrazine?

酒石黄(柠檬黄)吗?

第二十段

1 .Yeah. I used it on cotton first.

是的,我刚开始在棉花上用了它。

2 .It came out a great colour,

颜色很好看,

3 .but when I rinsed the material, the colour just washed away.

但是当我漂洗材料的时候,颜色全被洗掉了。

4 .I'd been going to try it out on nylon, but I abandoned that idea.

我本来想在尼龙上试一下,但是我放弃了那个想法。

第二十一段

1 .Were you worried about health issues?

你担心过健康问题吗?

第二十二段

1 .I'd thought if it's a legal food colouring, it must be safe.

我觉得如果它是合法的食物染色剂的话,应该是安全的。

第二十三段

1 .Well, it can occasionally cause allergic reactions, I believe.

恩,我想它偶尔会引起过敏反应。

第一段

1 .So what natural dyes did you look at?

所以你研究了什么自然染料呢?

第二段

1 .Well, one was turmeric.

哦,一个是姜黄。

2 .The colour's great, it's a really strong yellow.

那个颜色很棒,是非常明亮的黄色。

3 .It's generally used in dishes like curry.

它通常用于像咖喱这样的菜肴中。

第三段

1 .It's meant to be quite good for your health when eaten,

所以吃起来对身体健康很好。

2 .but you might find it's not permanent when it's used as a dye — a few washes, and it's gone.

但你可能会发现,它不是永久性的,当它被用作染料几次洗涤,它就消失了。

第四段

1 .Right.

是的。

2 .I used beetroot as a dye for wool.

我用甜菜根作羊毛的染料。

3 .When I chop up beetroot to eat I always end up with bright red hands,

当我切甜菜根吃的时候,我的手总是鲜红的,

4 .but the wool ended up just a sort of watery cream shade.

但是羊毛最后变成了一种稀奶油色。

5 .Disappointing.

太令人失望了。

第五段

1 .There's a natural dye called Tyrian purple. Have you heard of that?

有一种天然染料叫泰尔红紫。你听说过吗?

第六段

1 .Yes.

是的。

2 .It comes from a shellfish,

它来自一种贝类,

3 .and it was worn in ancient times but only by important people as it was so rare.

因为它很少见,所以只有古代的重要人士能穿戴。

4 .I didn't use it.

我没有用它。

第七段

1 .It fell out of use centuries ago,

它几个世纪前就废弃了,

2 .though one researcher managed to get hold of some recently.

尽管最近一位研究人员设法找到了一些。

3 .But that shade of purple can be produced by chemical dyes nowadays.

但是那种紫色现在可以通过化学染剂做出来。

4 .Did you use any black dyes?

你用过黑色染料吗?

第八段

1 .Logwood.

洋苏木。

2 .That was quite complicated.

那真的很复杂。

3 .I had to prepare the fabric so the dye would take.

我得准备好布料,这样染料才能上色。

第九段

1 .I hope you were careful to wear gloves.

我希望你带了手套。

第十段

1 .Yes. I know the danger with that dye.

是的。我知道那种染料有危险。

第十一段

1 .Good.

好。

2 .It can be extremely dangerous if it's ingested.

如果它被食用的话,会非常危险。

3 .Now, presumably you had a look at an insect-based dye? Like cochineal, for example?

现在,你大概已经研究过了昆虫染料了吧?比如说,胭脂虫红?

第十二段

1 .Yes. I didn't actually make that,

是的。事实上我并没有做,

2 .I didn't have time to start crushing up insects to get the red colour and anyway they're not available here,

因为我没有时间碾压昆虫来提取红色,而且这里没有胭脂虫。

3 .but I managed to get the dye quite easily from a website.

但我很容易就从网站上弄到了染料。

4 .But it cost a fortune, I can see why it's generally just used in cooking, and in small quantities.

但是它很贵,我知道为什么它通常只用于烹饪,而且数量很少。

第十三段

1 .Yes, it's very effective, but that's precisely why It's not used as a dye.

是的,它很有效,但这正是它不被用作染料的原因。

第十四段

1 .I also read about using metal oxide.

我也读过关于使用金属氧化物的文章。

2 .Apparently you can allow iron to rust while it's in contact with the fabric, and that colours it.

很明显,当铁接触织物时,你可以让它生锈,从而使织物变色。

第十五段

1 .Yes, that works well for dying cotton.

是的,那对染棉花很有效。

2 .But you have to be careful as the metal can actuaily affect the fabric and so you can't expect to get a lot of wear out of fabrics treated in this way.

但是你必须小心,因为金属会影响织物,所以你别期望用这种方法处理的织物会磨损很多。

3 .And the colours are quite subtle,

颜色也很微妙,

4 .not everyone likes them.

并不是每个人都喜欢它们。

5 .Anyway, it looks as if you've done a lot of work ...

不管怎样,看起来你做了很多工作。。。